Equality or Oppression? Analyzing the Castor Semenya situation with some insight from Kurt Vonnegut: Aka using literature to understand our world
Read the wonderful short story by Kurt Vonnegut titled, “Harrison Bergeron” linked below
While reading it, consider the following:
- Why is the population regulated the way they are?
- Why does Harrison reject this?
- What possible analogies or real world corollaries can you identify?
- How does this story inform / influence / effect your beliefs regarding the Castor Semenya situation?
- KQ: What methods of measurement could be utilized to determine when equality becomes oppression?