Key Learning Objectives today:
- Understand Mercantilism
- Understand the desire for colonies
- Understand what a “colony” is
- Understand the “secondary factors” regarding imperialism: racism; militarism; wars, etc.
Learning task: Predict problems with mercantilism as an economic theory as well as colonialism as a national policy.
Watch the above TED Talk by Sam Harris titled, “Science can answer moral questions” and consider the following:
- Summarize his thesis in 1-3 sentences
- What are the strengths of Harris’ argument?
- What are the weaknesses of Harris’ argument?
- Ok, so lets say you agree with all he has to say, where does that leave us? What are next steps?
After learning about the benefits as well as the “problems” of newly industrialized society, it is now up to you to SOLVE those problems! Use the learning helper below to do so:
Make a copy of the following doc!
We will be generating our debate topics collectively, and they will be updated here:
However in the mean time, the rubric that will be used to evaluate your debate can be found here: TOK debate rubric
Download the learning helper linked here to facilitate your investigation and understanding of ethical systems: Ethics Jigsaw
Utilize the PDF on Truth Theories linked below:
Truth Theories Understood
Each of you will be assigned to a “theory” either:
In your group, you need to decide if the following statement is TRUE based on your assigned theory:
“The attacks on the world trade center on 9/11 in NYC were facilitated by elements of the United States Government”
“Drake is the greatest hip hop artist currently making music”
“Harvard is in the Ivy league”