James Foley, beheaded by ISIS militants
ISIS is horrible. The Islamic State is horribly intolerant, violent, and oppressive. There is no doubting this unless you are a fellow Islamic extremist.
Read this EXCELLENT primer on ISIS by Graeme Wood from The Atlantic (world’s greatest magazine) below:
Further Interesting and relevant information is linked below for your intellectual development:
The question is then, what is the responsibility of non-extremist Muslims in regard to combating this ideology? What is the responsibility of non Muslims in combating this ideology?
Recently, a massive debate has been sparked on this very issue by comedian and political pundit Bill Maher, Actor/Director Ben Affleck, Intellectual and famous Atheist Sam Harris, and New York Times columnist Nicholas Kristof.
See the links below to get up to speed:
University professor and Muslim Resa Aslan on what the “new atheists” get wrong about Islam:
Mr. Kristof’s response to the drama:
Sam Harris Response to the Drama:
This brings up innumerable ideas, questions, comments and musings…however here are a few to focus our discussion:
- If a knowledge system leads to extreme violence and oppression, is that knowledge system wrong?
- Was Bill Maher Wrong? Was Bill Maher Right?
- What’s the difference between belief systems and religion?
- Are there violent religions or just violent people?
- What is the logical relationship between ideas and behavior?