Key Learning Objectives today:
- Understand Mercantilism
- Understand the desire for colonies
- Understand what a “colony” is
- Understand the “secondary factors” regarding imperialism: racism; militarism; wars, etc.
Learning task: Predict problems with mercantilism as an economic theory as well as colonialism as a national policy.
Watch the above TED Talk by Sam Harris titled, “Science can answer moral questions” and consider the following:
- Summarize his thesis in 1-3 sentences
- What are the strengths of Harris’ argument?
- What are the weaknesses of Harris’ argument?
- Ok, so lets say you agree with all he has to say, where does that leave us? What are next steps?