Read the incredibly interesting Atlantic article titled, “The Irrationality of Alcoholics Anonymous” linked here: https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/04/the-irrationality-of-alcoholics-anonymous/386255/
While reading, fill out the following chart: AA Analyzed with the the goal of addressing the learning outcome, “Examine prevention strategies and treatments for substance abuse and addictive behavior”
Check out the study below by Nora Volkow et al. (2011):
This research aligns with much of the work Volkow has been doing for much of the past 15 years. Her goal is to treat addicts. Like everything in treatment, treatment is most effective when underlying etiology is clear. Thus, Ms. Volkow is taking a reductionist approach to understand addiction at its most fundamental level.
After reading her research, we’ll watch her discuss her seismic findings:
Utilize the resources below with the goal of answering the question posed by this post!
- Read this post from the American Psychological Association (APA) discussing the ways in which exercise can decrease the physiological effects of stress
- Watch this quick discussion by Dr. Thompson at UCLA regarding why exercise reduces stress; it has a great cortisol connection:
- We know the Rozenweig, Bennet and Diamond study from Bio psych, but watch this TED talk below where Dr. Wong connects this study we already know to EXERCISE and the brain!!!
**What is the key conceptual commonality that the 3 resources above share????***
**What do we know about increased brain connectivity in the frontal lobe????***
Because creating test questions is great review, and because playing jeopardy is fun, we’re going to combine the two (Pen+pineapple = pineapple-pen style) into one amazing review activity!
Creating Jeopardy Questions like A BOSS
Since it’s Christmas and Chinese New Year season, I decided that you all should give the gift of knowledge!!! WOOT WOOT!
Your task is to educate your classmates on the power of psychology! You need to reflect on the following learning outcomes form the Biological Level of Analysis and create a Public Service Announcement (PSA) to educate your fellow students:
- Environmental affect on physiology (brain plasticity)
- Biological correlates of addiction (avoid adderral perhaps?)
- Interaction between Cognition and Physiology on behavior (meditation / mindfulness)
- Extent to which genetics influence behavior
Your explicit assignment is linked here: biological-level-of-analysis-psa