When students reflect on psychology, many of them consider behavioral analysis as the primary outcome. We’ve learned that “behavior” in a psychology context can also include thoughts, emotions and other cognition.
However, in Social Psychology, our focus is indeed on observable behavior.
There are so many interesting questions and quirks of humanity that can be investigated from a social psych perspective!
Task: Your task is to brainstorm interesting/shocking/confusing/amazing aspects of behavior and then formulate a driving question to guide your research! You should engage in this process similar to the process you engage in to create your TOK presentation; beginning from a Real Life Situation.
Finally, you and your partner will then create a video that you’ll post to youtube or youku that answers your question!
The Assignment, with assessment rubrics, is linked here: social-psychology-pbl
Since it’s Christmas and Chinese New Year season, I decided that you all should give the gift of knowledge!!! WOOT WOOT!
Your task is to educate your classmates on the power of psychology! You need to reflect on the following learning outcomes form the Biological Level of Analysis and create a Public Service Announcement (PSA) to educate your fellow students:
- Environmental affect on physiology (brain plasticity)
- Biological correlates of addiction (avoid adderral perhaps?)
- Interaction between Cognition and Physiology on behavior (meditation / mindfulness)
- Extent to which genetics influence behavior
Your explicit assignment is linked here: biological-level-of-analysis-psa
Your task is to design a health promotion campaign that is research based and grounded in empirically supported models and theories of health promotion (this is a Health Psych Learning outcome)
Your Requirements and resulting procedure is as follows:
- What element of wellness do you want to promote!?
- Who is your “target population”?
- Which social cognition model (TRA, HBM, SET=>TPB or PHA) or health promotion strategy does your campaign leverage?
- Explain how your promotion campaign is related to the aforementioned model or strategy. What element of the model or strategy does your campaign leverage in order to be successful?
- Design a plan of implementation
- Explain why you think this plan would work!
- Create 1 artifact…POSTER; plan for commercial; print ad; banner add online, brochure.
Since we’ll be in the PAC watching the returns, here are two articles you should read between prognostications! Be ready to discuss both next class!
The Brains of Buddhists: A great Atlantic Piece elucidating the work of Richard Davidson. Excellent for LOs of evaluating coping strategies of stress as well as BLOA cognitive effect on physiological process!
Generation Adderall: Really interesting New York Times piece by a former Adderall addict
School is stressful–senior year is stressful! But of course it doesn’t HAVE to be. As we’ve learned in class, stress (the physiological response) is largely cognitive in nature. The activity below will help you to identify some of your own cognitive biases and uncover how you may be exacerbating your stress levels! It will also require that you engage in research around coping strategies.
The only way to become a better writer is to write more. But just like there is intelligent athletic training, there is intelligent writing training. Just as an athlete would focus on their areas of weakness, so too must writers.
- Open a word document
- Title it, “Becoming a better Writer: (Enter Course Name Here: Exam)”
- Retype the section of your essay that had a comment of error or improvement.
- Bold the above.
- Below the bolded retyped section, I want you to RETYPE the section CORRECTLY. Or in a better way than it was originally transposed. If there are no errors of form, but rather errors of content, then simply correct the content.
- Continue this process until you’ve corrected all sections with comments stating a need for improvement/correction
Word Document linked here: becoming-a-better-writer