Read the short essay penned by Author Sam Harris titled, “Sleep Walking Toward Armageddon.”
When finished, reflect on the following questions:
- Harris writes, “Which will come first, flying cars and vacations to Mars, or a simple acknowledgment that beliefs guide behavior and that certain religious ideas—jihad, martyrdom, blasphemy, apostasy—reliably lead to oppression and murder?” What are your thoughts on this statement? There is no doubt beliefs guide behavior, but do the beliefs stated lead to the behavior cited?
- To what extent should beliefs that lead to bad behavior be tolerated?
- What are the individual and societal benefits of religious knowledge systems? If they were to be eliminated, what would take their place and fulfill the benefits you stated?
- Harris puts forth the thesis that acknowledging and critiquing of the “dangerous beliefs” which he states are inherent in Islam would be a start to solving the problems that he believes stem from islam. Do you agree? How would it and how wouldn’t it?
- What is the way forward? Education? Censorship?
Read the tragic story of Madison Holleran in order to better understand
- What depression is
- Etiology of depression
Stroy linked here:
As you read in Sapiens, Harari contends that myths are necessary in order for humans to live in large groups cohesively. He contends that until we had myth making, we remained living in small clans of extended families. So myths certainly serve a purpose, and they certainly can unite and do good; however make no mistakes—they serve the purpose of mind control.
At this point, it’s important to comprehend that “mind control” is not meant to be a pejorative term. Mind control can be used to create a society of caring, loving, intelligent and altruistic humans. However it can also be used for a variety of other purposes.
The point of this activity is for you to become aware of the myths that surround you so that you can examine the origins of your beliefs as well as the knowledge you consume.
Download and work through this learning helper: Myth Making
Take out a pencil and a piece of paper. This will be step 1 to elevating your analytical skills!
- Write clear directions regarding how to make a paper airplane
- Read your directions to your partner while they follow them. Repeat the process for the other partner
- We’ll discuss as a class!
Test Time! Study these learning outcomes below and don’t be like Alicia
- Discuss two effects of the environment on physiological processes
- Examine one interaction between cognition and physiology on behaviour
- Discuss the use of brain imaging technologies in investigating the relationship between biological factors and behaviour
- Discuss the extent to which genetics influence behaviour
- Examine one evolutionary explanation of behaviour