As a celebration of your work on our renaissance documentary films, we’ll have a class party while we watch your wonderful work and are educated on the causes and effects of the renaissance!
Please sign up to bring something to eat on THURSDAY for our party on the google doc below 🙂
Oh yea, get excited! Humanism matters! It’s not just some annoying, old, esoteric term that has no relevance to you beyond term dropping it on some exam! To see what I’m talking about, read the excerpt titled, “The Humanist Revolution” from Yvul Noah Harari’s book, “Home Deus” below:
The Humanist Revolution
Take out a pencil and a piece of paper. This will be step 1 to elevating your analytical skills!
- Write clear directions regarding how to make a paper airplane
- Read your directions to your partner while they follow them. Repeat the process for the other partner
- We’ll discuss as a class!
The only way to become a better writer is to write more. But just like there is intelligent athletic training, there is intelligent writing training. Just as an athlete would focus on their areas of weakness, so too must writers.
- Open a word document
- Title it, “Becoming a better Writer: (Enter Course Name Here: Exam)”
- Retype the section of your essay that had a comment of error or improvement.
- Bold the above.
- Below the bolded retyped section, I want you to RETYPE the section CORRECTLY. Or in a better way than it was originally transposed. If there are no errors of form, but rather errors of content, then simply correct the content.
- Continue this process until you’ve corrected all sections with comments stating a need for improvement/correction
Word Document linked here: becoming-a-better-writer
No Way! We’re WAY too educated and enlightened for that right?! Plus, america is a democracy, that could never happen in a democracy…..
Not so fast…read the beautifully historic piece written by Robert Kagan of the Brookings Institute in the Washington Post below:
When finished, reflect on the following questions:
- Are the historical based arguments Kagan uses valid? Why or why not?
- Can you think of other historical arguments that would be appropriate that Kagan left out?
- What are some important distinguishing factors that Kagan left out of his historical examples?
- Do you agree with his thesis?
Analyze how Individuals Create and Change Culture, Authority, or Governance
For your final project, you and your group will have to create a mini museum exhibit that answers the above question. Please see link below on how exactly you’ll execute that task as well as what is required:
World History Final Project
Link to Possible People:
Note Taking Form (required)
Fear is indeed a tool of political control. The question is the degree to which the marketing of fear and subsequent exploitation is purposeful.
There are some very famous examples of purposeful exploitation of fear for political control and personal gain. I’m sure Hitler comes to mind, as he should. However after this learning activity, two more should come to mind.
Download and complete the learning helper below and be ready to discuss at length next class!
Red Scare and Fear as Control