Is sensitivity to offense a hindrance to knowledge production?
Read this interview with comedian and talk show host Bill Maher from the New York Times Magazine in which they discuss the implications of political correctness and choose 2 of the following questions to discuss with a partner:
- Is sensitivity to offense a hindrance to knowledge production?
- Tow hat extent are societal norms created by gatekeepers?
- Who or what has the power in society?
- Is some knowledge evil?
- Must one break a few eggs to make a knowledge omelette?
- How do we know when speech is offensive?
- Do we all have the right NOT to have our feelings hurt?
- Are the youth ruining our culture?
- What are the key elements to a successful dialogue?
- What’s the difference between truthful speech that hurts and offensive speech that hurts?