History 9 First semester UPdated Exam Review Here: History 9 First semester exam reveiew 2
Read the short essay penned by Author Sam Harris titled, “Sleep Walking Toward Armageddon.”
When finished, reflect on the following questions:
- Harris writes, “Which will come first, flying cars and vacations to Mars, or a simple acknowledgment that beliefs guide behavior and that certain religious ideas—jihad, martyrdom, blasphemy, apostasy—reliably lead to oppression and murder?” What are your thoughts on this statement? There is no doubt beliefs guide behavior, but do the beliefs stated lead to the behavior cited?
- To what extent should beliefs that lead to bad behavior be tolerated?
- What are the individual and societal benefits of religious knowledge systems? If they were to be eliminated, what would take their place and fulfill the benefits you stated?
- Harris puts forth the thesis that acknowledging and critiquing of the “dangerous beliefs” which he states are inherent in Islam would be a start to solving the problems that he believes stem from islam. Do you agree? How would it and how wouldn’t it?
- What is the way forward? Education? Censorship?
Because creating test questions is great review, and because playing jeopardy is fun, we’re going to combine the two (Pen+pineapple = pineapple-pen style) into one amazing review activity!
Creating Jeopardy Questions like A BOSS
Read the tragic story of Madison Holleran in order to better understand
- What depression is
- Etiology of depression
Stroy linked here:
As a celebration of your work on our renaissance documentary films, we’ll have a class party while we watch your wonderful work and are educated on the causes and effects of the renaissance!
Please sign up to bring something to eat on THURSDAY for our party on the google doc below 🙂