Since it’s Christmas and Chinese New Year season, I decided that you all should give the gift of knowledge!!! WOOT WOOT!
Your task is to educate your classmates on the power of psychology! You need to reflect on the following learning outcomes form the Biological Level of Analysis and create a Public Service Announcement (PSA) to educate your fellow students:
- Environmental affect on physiology (brain plasticity)
- Biological correlates of addiction (avoid adderral perhaps?)
- Interaction between Cognition and Physiology on behavior (meditation / mindfulness)
- Extent to which genetics influence behavior
Your explicit assignment is linked here: biological-level-of-analysis-psa
Book CLUB!! Young and handsome Brad Pitt loves them, so they must be good! We’ll have a TOK book (short story) club next class!
Read one of the short stories below, then we’ll have a lit circle!
The Love Song of J Alfred Prufrock: TS Elliot POEM, but more story than poem; it’s in lyrical form, thus poem: ts-eliot-love-song-of-j-alfred-p
We read “to shoot an elephant” you’ve likely already read 1984, here is another short story by our man George!! orwell-a-hanging
Nabokov, Lolita author, and Famous russian…short story: nabokov-signs-and-symbols-new-yorker
EVERYONE Read THE SCHOOL, By Donald Barthelme
Your task is to design a health promotion campaign that is research based and grounded in empirically supported models and theories of health promotion (this is a Health Psych Learning outcome)
Your Requirements and resulting procedure is as follows:
- What element of wellness do you want to promote!?
- Who is your “target population”?
- Which social cognition model (TRA, HBM, SET=>TPB or PHA) or health promotion strategy does your campaign leverage?
- Explain how your promotion campaign is related to the aforementioned model or strategy. What element of the model or strategy does your campaign leverage in order to be successful?
- Design a plan of implementation
- Explain why you think this plan would work!
- Create 1 artifact…POSTER; plan for commercial; print ad; banner add online, brochure.
Since we’ll be in the PAC watching the returns, here are two articles you should read between prognostications! Be ready to discuss both next class!
The Brains of Buddhists: A great Atlantic Piece elucidating the work of Richard Davidson. Excellent for LOs of evaluating coping strategies of stress as well as BLOA cognitive effect on physiological process!
Generation Adderall: Really interesting New York Times piece by a former Adderall addict
School is stressful–senior year is stressful! But of course it doesn’t HAVE to be. As we’ve learned in class, stress (the physiological response) is largely cognitive in nature. The activity below will help you to identify some of your own cognitive biases and uncover how you may be exacerbating your stress levels! It will also require that you engage in research around coping strategies.