Social Psychology is my favorite unit of psychology because it examines human behavior in the context of other humans, something we can all relate to!
Our ENTRY EVENT into Social Psychology will be a reading and seminar discussion of the famous short story, “The Lottery” by Shirley Jackson linked below:
Social and Cultural Psychology
The most Famous Social Psych Experiments! Know them all!
1.. Evaluate social identity theory, making reference to relevant studies
- Tajfel is the creator of Social identity theory and a great primer for it is here:
- Good article on the importance of belonging:
4. Explain the formation of stereotypes and their effects on behavior
**To address learning outcome #2 above, I want you to engage in a comparative analysis of Stereotype formation theories. Use the reference linked below in conjunction with the word document titled, “Stereotype formation Evaluated”
- Explain social cognitive theory, making reference to two relevant studies
- Ingenious study on social cognitive theory augmenting its reach
- They Key study however, is the 1963 “bobo Doll” experiment by Alburt Bandura of Stanford.
- And HERE is where mirror neurons really come into play…read about them below:
- Evaluate research on conformity to group norms
- Discuss factors influencing conformity
Define the terms culture and cultural norms
This Learning Helper will facilitate your understanding of the above learning outcome: Understanding Culture
2. Examine the role of two cultural dimensions on behaviour
This Learning Helper will facilitate your understanding of Cultural Dimensions: Understanding Cultural Dimensions
Now, use the data tool from Hoefstede’s website to see if your analysis was correct!
Emic and Etic
- Use examples to explain the emic and etic concepts
Research Methods and SocioCultural
- Discuss how and why particular research methods are used at the sociocultural level of analysis
- Discuss ethical considerations related to research at the sociocultural level of analysis