Utilize the resources below with the goal of answering the question posed by this post!
- Read this post from the American Psychological Association (APA) discussing the ways in which exercise can decrease the physiological effects of stress
- Watch this quick discussion by Dr. Thompson at UCLA regarding why exercise reduces stress; it has a great cortisol connection:
- We know the Rozenweig, Bennet and Diamond study from Bio psych, but watch this TED talk below where Dr. Wong connects this study we already know to EXERCISE and the brain!!!
**What is the key conceptual commonality that the 3 resources above share????***
**What do we know about increased brain connectivity in the frontal lobe????***
Read the article below summarizing the work of Dr. Richard Davidson of the University of Wisconsin (GO BADGERS!!!!!)
You can see a published summary of Davidson’s studies here:
After reading the above, consider the following:
- How does Davidson’s statement, “The best way to activate positive emotion circuits in the brain is through generosity” relate to the research discussed by Kelly McGonigal in her Ted Talk on Stress?
- What is the cognitive change that Davidson investigates?
- What is the physiological change that results from the the aforementioned cognitive change?
- What are some possible implications for his findings?