Read the article below summarizing the work of Dr. Richard Davidson of the University of Wisconsin (GO BADGERS!!!!!)
You can see a published summary of Davidson’s studies here:
After reading the above, consider the following:
- How does Davidson’s statement, “The best way to activate positive emotion circuits in the brain is through generosity” relate to the research discussed by Kelly McGonigal in her Ted Talk on Stress?
- What is the cognitive change that Davidson investigates?
- What is the physiological change that results from the the aforementioned cognitive change?
- What are some possible implications for his findings?
Psychology is a science. It utilizes the following research methods in order to formulate, test, and refine hypotheses regarding human behavior:
- case study
- naturalistic observation
- correlational study
In all the above, Psychological researchers are guided by the Ethics put forth by the American Psychological Association (APA) . These requirements are:
- Informed consent. Participants must be informed about the nature of the research as well as be informed of the results at the conclusion of the study. After being informed about the nature of the research, the participants must CONSENT to participate in the study
- Right to Withdraw. Participants have the right to withdraw from the study as well as withdraw their results at any time.
- Protection of Participants. Participants cannot be caused distress or harm.
- Cannot DECEIVE the participants. Some deception may be necessary, but it should be minimal.
- Confidentiality. The participants names must be held confidential and may not be publicized in any way until after death.
ONe of the principles of psychology is that there are correlates between animal behavior and human behavior. Thus, animals are often used to inform psychological research. There are ethical guidelines for animals treatment as well:
“The acquisition, care, housing, use, and disposition of nonhuman animals in research must be in compliance with applicable federal, state, and local, laws and regulations, institutional policies, and with international conventions to which the United States is a party. APA members working outside the United States must also follow all applicable laws and regulations of the country in which they conduct research.”
Read the following article on the controversial use of Monkeys in Animal Research at the University of Wisconsin Madison: